Monday, April 23, 2007

Ankgor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia
This complex is about 21 square miles of temples, in various states of ruin. They were built between 1000-1600 or so, and some were to honor Vishnu and the Hindu gods, and some the Buddhist religion. I'm on a $30 an hour computer right now and don't have my guide book so I'll make this short. It was AWESOME. Thanks Dave Archer for recommending this side trip.

Monk at the main temple of Angor Wat - the biggest religious structure in the world.

Angor Wat at sunrise - yes, another 5 a.m. wake-up for me.The temple has 4 entrances in front - Middle one for the King, two side ones for worker bees, and the right hand one for elephants.

Looking up into the light in one of the other temples in Angor Thom.


Mama and baby on the Angkor grounds



One of the pools. It has been 100 F. and humid. I've learned two things about this kind of heat: 1) it is truly better to wear loose fitting clothes that cover the body entirely (better than shorts), and 2) noon to 4 p.m. is hammock time.

Cleaning the moat around the Angkor Wat temple - moat surrounds it completely except for the causeways in.

This was a amazing at it looks. A temple being reclaimed by nature. This is Ah Phon (don't know if I'm spelling it right), where Tomb Raiders was filmed.

Here I am, standing where Angelina Jolie made a movie. Look just like her, don't I?

Elephants after giving rides into the temple complex. Note the first guy checking his cell phone.


Cambodian dancers.

The West entrance to Angkor Wat


1 comment:

  1. You DO look just like Angelina.

    Something about these pics with your description made me feel the heat of the day.

    ReplyDelete