Friday, April 13, 2007





Songkran!!! Thais celebrate the Buddhist New Year between April 13-15. It represents purification, and what better way then to squirt, throw, and pour water on everyone? Of course the buddha and elders get a small pouring of scented water, but the rest of us get totally doused - even motorcycle riders. They ride around in pick up trucks with barrels of water, and the people with hoses streetside kindly fill them up in passing. I noted that the people are very gentle about it on Phuket and Ko Samui Island - it is all in good fun. And the weather cooperated wonderfully by raining. Of course in Bangkok they take it up a few notches -- they've prohibited high pressure water guns to no avail.
This is my last post for a bit. Malia left yesterday and I'm oh so sad. I wish she were still here to enjoy all this and to play with. I landed at a wonderful hotel with a full 260 degree view of the ocean and infinity pool. There is a mosquito net over the bed so I decided to use it :-). While the Phuket Hotel was our #1, this one is half the price and experience. They don't quite get vegetarian here, and no CD player in the Internet cafe, but hey, I'm not complaining about being in paradise. In fact, I'm weirdly arising at 6 or 7 a.m. and swimming laps for exercise. I attribute this to no computer so nothing interesting to keep me up all hours. I do love getting up with the light and having all day in it. BUT I'M NOT a morning person....:-).
I love you all, family and friends. Next time you are coming too.

1 comment:

  1. Judy: well, what better way to survive in 39C than a water dousing New Years Celebration.

    Sorry Malia's leaving was sad...hopefully the next posts will have you meeting new Thai friends.

    ReplyDelete