Monday, May 30, 2011

Living in Mannheim, Germany

Kathrin arranges for me to live in a nice apartment in Mannheim – see the view as I step out my door. Also note that the cars all park halfway on the sidewalk. Across the street is the University of Mannheim, which is located in an old castle (Schloss in German – one of the few words I know, embarrassingly).


My routine is to walk a couple of blocks to the tram and then take it for 15 minutes to the neighboring Ludwigshaven, then walk about ¾ mile to the institute for teaching (and return the same way). I love all the walking in Europe. It feels so healthy and it is wonderful to have so much local cheap transportation. This is my ride: tram #4.
Of course nothing is too cheap right now with the exchange rate of $1.43 to 1 €. Still, that doesn’t stop me from shopping, once anyhow, in Mannheim - this is the normally lively square (Parade Platz, pronounced pah-rad-ah plahtz) surrounded by yummy European fashion and cafes. I note that the style for women includes scarves – so I followed suit and it exaggerates the heat on warm days.
They are setting up for a huge street fair this weekend. It will have lots of food (pretzels, sausages, pizza) and music and cool homemade and other stuff for sale. Germany has street fairs every weekend somewhere. The Christmas fair and fall fairs are especially huge…and of course, the famous Octoberfest.


Took off to see Malia and Marco the weekend I had off between teaching days. A 4.5 hour train ride and 200% worth it! They live in Vilsek in the Bavarian regio , 2 hours from Prague. That sounds exotic as I see it roll off my fingers!
Tomorrow – train to Berlin to meet Lelya and Sasha! These are Russians who live 9 months of the year in Berlin and 3 months in Moscow. Cyndi and I met them in Rio de Janeiro in January and immediately fell in love. They are wonderful and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment